Salvation Army 3010 Apartments
Historic homeless shelter becomes long-term housing for persons with special needs.
In 1907, Father Peter Dunne founded the Newsboys Home and Protectorate at 3010 Washington Avenue in St. Louis to provide housing and education for homeless boys. The Salvation Army purchased and renovated the building in 1970, and it served for many years as the Harbor Light Center, providing short-term institutional care to clients affected by addiction, chronic homelessness and other disabilities. Funded in part by historic preservation and low-income housing tax credits, the newly-renovated 3010 Apartments facility now provides long-term, independent living to persons with special needs.
This development included the conversion of the building into 58 one-bedroom apartments, laundry room and computer lab and renovation of the decommissioned chapel into an events room. Building envelope elements included new historic windows, tuckpointing of brick elevations and new TPO roofing. Building systems included new electrical service and wiring throughout, new plumbing systems and drains to sewer, new fire protection service and security system, new efficient VRV mechanical systems and new water and gas service to the building. Interior finishes included drywall, trim, paint, new flooring and historic rehabilitation of the original chapel building, stained glass windows and other architectural elements.
3010 Apartments received the National Trust for Historic Preservation's 2015 HUD Secretary's Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation and a Most Enhanced award from the Landmarks Association of St. Louis.
The Salvation Army
St. Louis, Missouri
58 Apartment Units
47,495 Square Feet